Introduction to SAN and NAS Storage
Everything you need to understand and work with centralised storage - Fast!Watch Promo
Today's data center and cloud environments have converged infrastructures and management tools, and with the use of virtualization technologies like VMware and Microsoft Hyper-V, external SAN and NAS storage is becoming standard. It's no longer possible to get by as an IT professional by knowing only servers, networking or storage, you need an understanding of all three for your career to thrive.
This course will give you the knowledge you need to understand and work with SAN and NAS storage. You'll learn the theory of the SMB, CIFS, NFS, Fibre Channel, iSCSI, FCoE and NVMeOF protocols, and see how to configure the storage system and connect from the client with hands-on lab demonstrations.
The lessons are vendor agnostic so they're suitable no matter who the manufacturer of your storage system is. I've used NetApp as the storage system in the live demos but the information is relevant to all vendors.
As a student in this course, you will get an answer to every question you ask. I love interaction with my students- anything you want to know, please ask. You can contact me at [email protected]
Thanks for taking the time to read about the course.
Click the green button above to enroll for free!
What are the requirements?
- A basic knowledge of computer networks
- No previous storage knowledge is necessary
What will you be able to do after taking this course?
- Understand the basics plus more of Storage Area Networks and Network Attached Storage
- Understand why we use centralised storage
- Understand the difference between SAN and NAS
- Understand the theory of the NAS protocols - SMB, CIFS and NFS
- Understand the theory of the SAN protocols - Fibre Channel, iSCSI, FCoE and NVMeOF
- Perform a basic configuration of SAN and NAS storage on a Storage System
- Connect to CIFS (SMB) NAS storage from a Windows client
- Connect to NFS NAS storage from a Linux client
- Connect to iSCSI SAN storage from a Windows client
StartFibre Channel Part 1 - FCP and WWPN Addressing (10:42)
StartFibre Channel Part 2 - Security: Zoning and LUN Masking (5:57)
StartFibre Channel Part 3 - The Fabric Login (7:42)
StartFibre Channel Part 4 - Redundancy and Multipathing (10:52)
StartFCoE Overview (8:33)
StartFibre Channel and FCoE Configuration (7:07)
StartiSCSI Overview (11:45)
StartiSCSI Configuration (11:36)
StartNVMeOF Overview (4:35)
Hi, I'm Neil Anderson. My main focus since 2007 has been development and delivery of technical training for large enterprise and service provider customers such as Cisco, NetApp, Verizon and IBM. I train the engineers who design and implement the largest Cloud and Data Center deployments throughout Asia Pacific and the rest of the world.
Prior to focusing on training I worked in the field for over 10 years in a variety of systems engineering roles. I love sharing my knowledge and can't wait to help you take your career to the next level.
Some of the companies who've chosen me to train their engineers: